Sunday, February 14, 2016

Content In The Lord

Hebrews 13:5 Keep your life free from love of money, and be content with what you have, for he has said, "I will never leave you nor forsake you."

Things can become idols in our lives and money is one of those things. We can look to people, belongings, money or lifestyles before we look to God and these are idols in our lives. So “Keep your life free from the love of money” This isn’t saying don’t have money, but it is saying not to love money. 1st Timothy 6:10 says, “For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evils. It is through this craving that some have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many pangs.” Loving money can draw us to the world and what we can buy, instead of drawing us to the Lord. “and be content with what you have” I have Jesus and since I have Jesus I can be content. The next thing that is said is, “I will never leave or forsake you.” So we have Jesus and he will never leave or forsake us. At times I feel like God isn’t speaking to me or like I don’t feel him, but this isn’t God being distant from me. This is me not drawing near to Him. I can be content being poor or rich. Money shouldn’t matter to me. Jesus will never leave or forsake me so why would I not be content? Hebrews 13:8-9 say,
Hebrews 13:8 Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.
Hebrews 13:9 Do not be led away by diverse and strange teachings, for it is good for the heart to be strengthened by grace, not by foods, which have not benefited those devoted to them.

I want to be content in God alone so today I am fasting. I am hungry right now and this verse really speaks to me. Food isn’t going to draw me closer to the Lord. I want the Lord to be my everything not food or money.

Application

Today I am fasting because the Lord is more than enough for me and I want to be devoted to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment