Wednesday, February 3, 2016

The Lost Sheep

Matthew 11:19 The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, 'Look at him! A glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and sinners!' Yet wisdom is justified by her deeds."

The Son of Man came eating and drinking.” Jesus wasn't eating or drinking in excess, but in a normal way. Just to live. He was not in sin by doing this. The Jews are accusing him of being a drunkard and a glutton. These accusations are completely false. He was neither a drunk or a glutton. The Jews then say that he is a friend of tax collectors and sinners. In Luke chapter 15 verses 2 through 7 Jesus gives a parable about why he is a friend to sinners.

Luke 15:2 And the Pharisees and the scribes grumbled, saying, "This man receives sinners and eats with them."
Luke 15:3 So he told them this parable:
Luke 15:4 "What man of you, having a hundred sheep, if he has lost one of them, does not leave the ninety-nine in the open country, and go after the one that is lost, until he finds it?
Luke 15:5 And when he has found it, he lays it on his shoulders, rejoicing.
Luke 15:6 And when he comes home, he calls together his friends and his neighbors, saying to them, 'Rejoice with me, for I have found my sheep that was lost.'
Luke 15:7 Just so, I tell you, there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who need no repentance.

Jesus had a heart to save sinners from their sin. Again in the book of Mark the Jews are asking why Jesus is eating with sinners and tax collectors and Mark chapter 2 verse 17 says “And when Jesus heard it, he said to them, "Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick. I came not to call the righteous, but sinners." We are all sinners and Jesus came to save us. The last part of the verse says “Yet wisdom is justified by her deeds.” 1st Corinthians chapter 1 verse 30 says “And because of him you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, righteousness and sanctification and redemption,” Jesus is wisdom and we are the children of God. I will boast in the Lord and not in myself. Because all wisdom or anything good that I have is from the Lord.

Application

Today I will apply this verse to my life by boasting in God and not myself. And I will pray for the unsaved people in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment