Sunday, February 14, 2016

Help Me Be Content

Luke 3:14 Soldiers also asked him, "And we, what shall we do?" And he said to them, "Do not extort money from anyone by threats or by false accusation, and be content with your wages."

Soldiers are here while John is baptizing and answering the crowd and tax collectors. The soldiers ask what they shall do. He is telling the soldiers not to threaten people to get money or goods from them. This is a normal thing for soldiers to do. The soldiers would sometimes accuse fellow soldiers to impress their officers. They would be able to have more than normal wages could afford. Then John says, “be content with your wages.” This can be a hard thing in life. John is telling the soldiers to not get more money from evil practices, but to be content with what they are getting for the wages. In life a lot of the time we want more than we are given, but here John is saying to be content with your wages. “Be content” so don’t complain or grumble about wanting more or don’t take unlawful action to get more money. Where in my life am I not content with my “wages” do I grumble or want more? Even though I have more than enough. I should be content with what I have. Philippians chapter 4 verses 11-13 say,
 Philippians 4:11 Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content.
Philippians 4:12 I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need.
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through him who strengthens me.

God is all that I need. I should be content whether I have an abundance or I have need. I can do all things through him who strengthens me. I can be content with my wages, because I am content in the Lord. Circumstances aren’t what bring me contentment, but it is the Lord who strengthens me.

Application

Today I will pray that the Lord would show me where I am not content and that He would work in me to change those areas. 

No comments:

Post a Comment